Thursday, August 13, 2015

Nature Calls

"If I knew where you lived, I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils."  ~NY152 to Shopgirl, in the movie You've Got Mail (1998)


I finished college more than three years ago, and graduated from high school more than twelve years ago, but when school supplies start showing up in the stores, the part of me that's still a kid remembers the excitement of getting all fresh supplies at the beginning of the school year: a new box of crayons, new notebooks, new glue sticks, maybe something like a protractor that demonstrates the new heights of learning that I have attained. And that part of myself starts jumping up and down and saying, "Mom, can we get that? Can I have those? I think I need a new backpack." And before my husband has time to turn around, I'm in there ogling three-ring binders and #2 pencils and pens with black or blue ink. 

Tangent: Do they still use red ink for correcting? We would get the "erasable" pens, and I used to do this thing where I'd scribble on the back of my left hand with the red and blue pens, and then get spit on my finger to blend it until it looked like a bruise. I was very artistic about it -- for a fourth grader.

Anyway, I have to use serious restraint during the end-of-summer sales -- and when the clearance sales begin around the end of September, I let myself stock up while prices are so low. :) I must admit I've had a lifelong (college ruled!) notebook fetish; I have a history of buying them when I know I already have several empty ones at home, because it has such a cool picture on the cover, or it's an interesting size that might turn out to be just perfect for some bag or writing project, or they're twelve for a dollar!

I can't be the only one. :)  If you have experienced this syndrome instinct, share your thoughts and experiences in the comments!