Thursday, December 5, 2013

Flannel Board Fun

After sewing a pint-sized Santa hat, eight beanbags, and a toddler dress made from an adult shirt earlier this week, I needed a no-sew project yesterday.  So I made a flannel board, which I've been meaning to do for at least a year, and several sets of felt cutouts to go with it.  I got kind of carried away, actually.  It was so fun!

To make the board, I just cut the flaps off of a flattened corrugated cardboard box (I used a USPS flat rate board game shipping box), then cut a rectangle of flannel about two inches bigger on each side than the flattened box.  I spread the flannel on the table (softer side down) and centered the box over it, then folded each side of the cloth over and hot-glued it about six inches at a time, so the glue wouldn't harden before I could press the fabric to it.  I did opposite sides first, so I could pull it taut.

Here are photos of all the sets I made yesterday.  I did it all freehand, but if you're not comfortable with the idea, I'm sure you could find simple patterns with minimal Google-ing.

Shapes!
I made the body first, then laid it on top of the colored felt and traced around it to make the clothes and hair.

Then I made a second doll so she could have a friend.  :)  Here they are in their winter outfits.

Dresses.

Skirts with tops.

Shorts and T-shirts.

Elmo!  This is 5 separate pieces, so it's kind of a mini-puzzle.

Mix-and-match silly faces.

Fish -- one of Sunbeam's favorite animals.

Healthy foods.  That cream-colored blob is supposed to be a head of cauliflower.  :)

Santa (this is also a 5-piece puzzle).

I'm thinking of making more today.  My mind is still churning out ideas: A nativity scene?  A Christmas tree with decorations?  A turkey with different-colored tail pieces?  More costumes for the dolls?  A weather set?  I still have Christmas presents to make, so I can't let myself get too carried away, but the good news is that these are quick, easy, and cheap enough to make pretty much any time I want, and I can add to them all year long!