Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Extra Thirty Seconds


So, a piece of advice I've been giving myself lately is, "Take the extra thirty seconds."  There are so many things that I habitually pass over or procrastinate because I'm hurrying to my next task or activity, but the accumulated weight of them always ends up adding stress to my day.
For example:
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to refill the Brita and put it back in the fridge after pouring myself a glass of water, so it's full of cold water the next time someone wants a drink. 
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to refill the ice cube tray after using it (yes, I have a very old-fashioned freezer).
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to rinse my dishes after a meal while the food is still soft and easy to rub off, to save a lot of scrubbing when it's time to wash (or multiple runs through the dishwasher, since Mr. T does most of the dishes at our house).
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to hang up my clothes, if they're still clean when I take them off, instead of piling them at the foot of the bed. 
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to put the frozen chicken breasts in the fridge when I think of it, so they're defrosted when it's time to make dinner. 
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to add a bag of frozen veggies to a meal. 
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to wash an apple, rather than snacking on cereal/crackers/Pop Tarts.
  • Take the extra thirty seconds to stop and say hi to the neighbor I pass in the aisle at the grocery store. 
I know none of this is revelatory, but like so many things, it's a matter of doing, not knowing.